ULANGAN TENGAH SEMESTER
Kelas : VIII
Mata Pelajaran : Bahasa Inggris
Waktu : 90 menit
Semester : Ganjil
Tanggal : Oktober 2010
Tahun Ajaran : 2010/2011
Pilihlah jawaban yang paling benar.!
The Octopus is a sea animal with eight powerful feet which it uses as hands. These are called tentacles. The word “Octopus” comes from two Greek words that mean “eight feet”.
The octopus, the squid and the cuttlefish belong to the same family that has no utside shells. Their bodies are covered entirely with skin. Therefore the body of an octopus is oft. It looks like a big balloon. A fully-grown octopus can be as large as 8,5 metres from the tip of one tentacles to the tip of another. It can weigh as much as 45 kilograms.
Besides using its tentacles to catch small fish, sea plants, crab and lobsters, the octopus also uses them against its enemies. The octopus wraps its tentacles around the victim and squeezes it before eating it.
The octopus escapes from its enemies by giving out a thick dark squid to darken the water. It can also change the colour of its body to match its surroundings. It hides from its enemies by doing this.
1. Which group of sea creatures belongs to the same family?
A. fish, octopus and crab
B. squid, crab and octopus
C. crab, cuttlefish and squid
D. cuttlefish, octopus and squid
2. Before the octopus eats its victim , It …..
A. changes the colour of its body
B. realises a thick dark liquid
C. plays with
D. squeezes it
3. What does the word “octopus” mean in Greek?
C. Dark water.
D. Eight feet.
4. The word them in paragraph 3 refers to the octopus’s …
5. What does the octopus do to escape from its enemy?
A. It runs.
B. It gives out a thick dark fluid to darken the water.
C. It swims.
D. It stings the enemies
6. A chimpanzee is an African ape. It is … than a gorilla.
B. as short as
7. An octopus …. eight feet.
D. is have
8. A raflesia flower … not smell good.
Once upon a time, there was a man who was a doctor and whose name was Gold Smith. dr Smith had a good heart. He was always ready to help others and gave away so much to the poor that was always cures himself.
One day a woman came and asked dr. Smith to see her husband whose was ill at home. Dr. Smith did so. He found that the man was not ill but poor. He had not eaten anything for many days.
“Come to my house this evening”, said the doctor to the woman. “I will give you some medicine which may make your husband better”.
In the evening he woman came. Dr. Smith gave her a little box which was very heavy.
“This the madicine which may do good to your husband”. Said the doctor”. But don’t open the box until you reach home.
When she reached home, she showed the box to her husband and opened it. What do you think they found in it? It was full of money. Dr. Smith took pity to the man and woman to whom he gave all the money which he had.
9. What is the best title of the text?
A. dr. Smith had a good heart
B. dr. Smith was very nice
C. dr. Smith liked to help rich people
D. dr.Smith was very popular
10. What is the main idea in paragraph 2?
A. A woman called dr. Smith
B. A poor woman came by to the dr.Smith house
C. Her husband was sick
D. dr. Smith came to see the poor man
11. dr. Smith took pity to the man and the woman. The undelined word means … in Bahasa (Indonesian language)
Yesterday, I visited Ragunan Zoo by public transport. I left my house at 8 a.m. I reached there at ten o clock a.m. It was very crowded because it was Sunday.
12. How many hours did the writer need from his house to the zoo?
A. one hour
B. two hours
C. three hours
D. four hours
13. How did the writer go there?
A. by TransJakarta Bus
B. by taxi
C. by motor cycle
D. by car
THE THREE CATS
One day, there were three cats. A white cat, a black cat, and a brown cat. The white cat said “I’m bored. I don’t have anyone to play with”. The black cat said “I’m bored. I don’t have anyone to play with”. The brown cat said. “I’m bored. I had no one to play with”. So, they decided to meet at the park. When they got there, they didn’t know what to do. The brown cat wanted to roll in the mud but the black cat wanted to roll in some coal, but the white cat wanted to chase bird. They had to agree on something. So, they agreed to do the same thing. Just walk around until they were very tired !
14. “When they got there, they didn’t know what to do”. The word “they” in the sentence refers to ….
A. the black and the white cats
B. the black, white and brown cats
C. the black and the brown cats
D. the white and the brown cats
15. Finally.What happened to those cats?
A. They agreed to play in the park
B. They chased birds all day
C. They walked around the park
D. They decided to not do the same thing
Last year my friend and I went to Bung Karno’s Sport Center. He watched the badminton match between the Indonesian team and the Chinese team.
At first, Taufik Hidayat my favorite player, played againt Lin Dan. In the beginning of the match, I felt worried because Lin Dan led the game. But then Taufik could level up with him. I said “Yes” when Taufik started to control the game. He played so excellent that he could win the first game quickly. In the second game, Taufik controlled the game. We yelled “Taufik, Taufik, Taufik” to encourage him to finish the game more quickly.
We finally roared when Taufik ended the game with a smash. I felt very relieved at the end when Indonesian team could beat the Chinese. What a fantastic game! I said happily.
16. How did the writer feel at the beginning of the match?
17. We finally “roared” when Taufik ended the game with a smash. What is the underlined word nearly means?
Taronga Zoo is the major zoo in Australia. It is located in Sydney, New South Wales. It occupies a 33-hectare location. The name “taronga” is an Aboriginal name. It means “water view”.
The Zoo has Australia’s finest collection of native Australian animals and many
exotic species. It has kangaroos, wallabies, and koalas. Those animals can be seen from a
close distance. There are platypuses, echidnas, and New Zealand kiwis in the Nocturnal
House. There are also gorillas in the new Gorilla Tropical Forest. All animals in the zoo
are kept very well. They are kept in the environment that is like their natural habitat.
Taronga is usually used as a site for scientific research, conservation, and education. It also offers a range of educational and special interest tours.
18. Where is Taronga Zoo located?
A. It is located in Sydney, Australia.
B. It is located in New Zealand.
C. It is located in New York.
D. It is located in the Aboriginal site
19. Where in Taronga Zoo can you find New Zealand kiwis?
A. In the Tropical Forest.
B. In the south of the zoo.
C. In the Nocturnal House.
D. In New Zealand.
20. Which of the following statements is true according to the text?
A. Taronga Zoo is the only zoo in Australia.
B. The animals in Taronga Zoo cannot be seen in a close distance.
C. The name “taronga” is aboriginal for “water view”.
D. Taronga Zoo only has native Australian animals.
21. Nana : … another cup of tea, please?
Waitres : Yes, of course.
A. Do you think
B. Would you
C. Can you
D. May I have
22. Nola : “Excuse me,do you want a ticket to Bali? ”
Widi : … I have already bought two !
A. No,thank you
B. That’s allright
C. I am sorry
D. Thank you
23. Woman : You look cute with your new hair cut.
Man : Thank you for saying so.
What does the woman mean?
A. She congratulates the man.
B. She compliments the man.
C. She does not like the man’s new hair cut.
D. She wants to have a new hair cut.
24. Woman : Congratulations on winning the Physics Olympiad.
Man : ….
What will the man probably say?
A. Thank you.
B. I agree with you.
C. I don’t think so.
D. That’s not true.
25. Miss Yul : “Would you help me to accompany me to go to Ciparay waterfall ?
Mr Sule : …. What time should we go?
Miss Yul : At 9 o’clock !
A. in the right
B. Thank you
26. Woman : Would you help me move this cupboard?
Man : All right.
What does the man mean?
A. He agrees to help the woman.
B. He refuses to help the woman.
C. He cannot move the cupboard.
D. He wants the woman to help him.
27. Woman : Would you come to my birthday party tomorrow?
Man : I’d love to.
What does the man mean?
A. He will ask the woman to come to his birthday party.
B. He will have a birthday party.
C. He will go to the party.
D. He will not go to the party.
28. Man : What do you think about our new teacher?
Woman : I think he is very talkactive.
What does the woman mean?
A. She thinks that their new teacher is very active.
B. She thinks that their new teacher is very attractive.
C. She thinks that their new teacher needs to talk much.
D. She thinks that their new teacher talks too much.
29. Woman : I heard you bought a new red car yesterday.
Man : That is not true ! I just repainted my old car.
What does the man mean?
A. He did not buy a new car.
B. He bought a new red car.
C. He did not like a red car.
D. He sold his old car.
30. Sanusi : Shall we go hiking to Bogor next Saturday?
Asep : …. We really need fresh air after a busy week.
A. That would be great
B. That would be tiring
C. I’m sorry, I can’t
D. That would make us busy
31. Mr Denny : “Would you like to come to my party tonight?”
Miss Anne : ….
A. It does not matter.
B. No, I disagree about that.
C. Well done.
D. I would love to.
32. Andi : What do you think about our new classroom?
Fredy : …. We need to clean it.
A. I think it’s too small
B. I think it’s very untidy
C. I think it’s very dirty
D. I think there are too many pictures
33. Sanusi : Adi told me that you won the ticket to see Peterpan’s concert.
Asep : …. I actually bought the ticket.
A. That’s true
B. I’m afraid, it’s correct
C. It’s not correct
D. That’s it
34. Fredy : May I help you carry those books?
Sanusi : …. I can do it myself.
A. No, thanks
C. Of course
35. Man : I think all animals in the zoo should be locked up in cages.
Woman : I don’t think so.
What does the woman mean?
A. She agrees with the man’s opinion.
B. She disagrees with the man’s opinion.
C. She thinks that all animals should be locked up in cages.
D. She thinks that all animals should have cages.
36. Donita : … will you come to my house?
Sidik : At 7 p.m.
37. Snakes …. not have legs.
38. Arrange the following utterances into a good dialogue between Aida and Zainab
1.It’s red and blue.
2.Zainab, I think I have lost my only skirt.
3.I’m not sure I remember. Can you help me look for it?
4.Really? Where did you last see it?
5.Sure. What is it like?
The correct arrangement is …
A. 2 – 5 – 1 – 3 – 4
B. 2 – 4 – 1 – 3 – 5
C. 2 – 5 – 1 – 3 – 4
D. 2 – 4 – 3 – 5 – 1
39. Alan : … did you see in that house last night?
Mike : I saw a shadow there.
40. Elsa : … did eat my apple on the table?
Keiko : I did.