TRY OUT-TEST BAHASA INGGRIS 2008 Grade 8 MidSemester 1
Last weekend we went to the countryside to have a picnic. We made some sandwiches to take with us for lunch. We left quite early before there was too much traffic. After about two hours we came to a nice place, it was near the river, with some large trees beside it, so we parked the car under the trees and went for a swim. It was a very hot day and the water was clear and fresh.After having a swim we have lunch in a cool place under the trees. Then we went for a walk. We saw some beautiful birds and butterflies. After for about an hour we returned to the car. But we couldn’t get the car to start, We checked the oil and the petrol, but the car wouldn’t start. Finally we got the car to start by pushing it, We were very tired but we felt happy, It was a great holiday
1. What does the text talk about ?
A. Swimming in clear and fresh water
B. Having picnic in the countryside
C. Enjoying beautiful butterflies
D. Pushing the car on holiday
2.”After about two hours we came to a nice place. It was near the river, with some large trees beside it ”
The word ‘it’ refers to …
A. the river
B. the tree
C. the nice place
D. the lunch
3. .”We checked the oil and the petrol, but the car …”
The underlined word is almost similar meaning to …
A. look at
4. How many activities did the writer do at the picnic area ?
The finalists of “Akademi Fantasi Indosiar 1” (AFI) are wonderful young people.
Mawar who was born on 26 February 1985 is a cute girl. She has straight, short hair. Her bright skin, chubby cheeks, and lovely smile make her look very marvellous. She is not very tall. However, her weight which is 40 kgs matches her body well and makes her look cute.
Unlike Mawar, Ve looks tall. She is 1.69 meters tall. She looks quite slim. She weighs 45 kgs. Compared to Mawar, Ve looks darker. The 22 years-old girl has black, straight hair.
Another finalist is Ismail who is better known as Smile. The young man who was born on 16 September 1983 looks much bigger and taller than his two female fiends. He is tall and muscular. His complexion is fair and his hair is short and straight.
5. The text is about ……..
A. Mawar AFI
B. Ve AFI
C. Ismail AFI
D. The finalists of AFI
6. What do you think about Mawar ……..
A. She is taller than Ve.
B. She is heavier than Ve.
C. She is younger than Smile.
D. Her skin is darker than.
7. “Her bright skin, chubby cheeks, and lovely smile ……..” (Paragraph 2)
The italiced word can mean ……..
Read the following letter to Dear Help , a feature in the magazine for teens
I have a close friend. Her name is Andriani. She is very pretty. She has long black hair and pointed nose.She is very kind to me. I like anything about her but one thing.She always complains about her score test in maths. In my opinion,she is smart. I tell her that she doesn’t need to worry about her scores because they are not too bad. She also likes to complain about her appearance. She thinks that she is not beautiful. I try hard to convince her that she is pretty. She must thank to God for it. I advice her to be more confident but It doesn’t work well. She also always feels not be confident especially when facing many people.
What should I do help her to overcome this matter?
( Jakarta )
8.Who wrote the letter above?
c. Fanny Beauty
b. Her close friend d. Dear Help
9 The writer dislikes Andriani ‘s …
a. appearance c. confidence
b. complain d. kindness
10. Which sentence describes Andriani’s appearance?
a.She has long black hair and pointed nose
b. She is pretty and and smart
c. She is not so beautiful
d. She is not confident to
11. Andriani likes to complain about her ….. and …..
a. score math and appearance c. confidence and appearance
b. complaint and score math d. score math and physical appearance
Last weekend we went to the countryside to have a picnic. We made some sandwiches to take with us for lunch. We left quite carly before there was too much traffic. After about two hours we came to a nice place, it was near the river, with some large trees beside it, so we parked the car under the trees and went for a swinm. It was a very hot day and the water was clear and fresh.After having a swim we have lunch in a cool place under the trees. Then we went for a walk. We saw some beautiful birds and butterflies. After for about an hour we returned to the car. But we couldn’t get the car to start, We checked the oil and the petrot, but the car wouldn’t start. Finally we got the car to start by pushing it, We were very tired but we felt happy, It was a great holiday.
12 What does the text talk about ?
a. Swimming in clear and fresh water c.Enjoying beautiful butterflies
b. Having picnic in the countryside d. Pushing the car on holiday
13“After about two hours we came to a nice place,It was near the river, with some large trees beside it “
The word’it’ here refers to …
a. the river c. the nice place
b. the tree d. the lunch
14.“We checked the oil and the petrol, but the car …”
The underlined word is almost similar to …
a. look at c. glance
b. examine d. stare
15. How many activities did the writer do at the picnic area ?
a. two c. four
b. three d. five
You are invited to :
Occasion : Birthday party
Date : September 17th
Time : 7 pm
Place : At my house
I am look forward to your coming
16. What is Mimi’ s purpose to write such kind of text ?
a.To describe her birthday party c. To ask Tuti to look at her party
b.To invite Tuti to come to her birthday party d. To give instruction to Tuti how to
come to her house
17. Where will the party be held ?
a. At Tuti’s house c. At Mimi’s house
b. At my house d. At your house
Why don’t we go and see the rock concert tomorrow evening?
Let’s meet at the bus station at 6 p,m, Ok?
18. Windy wants to …
a. see the rock concert with Andre c. ask Andre to see the rock concert
b. make sure that the rock concert is good. d. concert tomorrow tell Andre that there is
19. “ Let’s meet at the bus station at 6 p.m”
It means that Windy …. they meet at the bus station.
a. refuses c. forces
b. suggest d. denies
20. KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN
The notice above means that the thing inside is … for children.
a. dangerous c. horrible
b. important d. useful
21 Don’t walk on the grass The notice above tells us that walking on the grass is …
a. allowed c. suggested
b. prohibited d. advised
22. warm – dolphins – female – thick
1 2 3 4
under ther skin– layer of fat-
to keep them — have
The good arrangement of the words above is …
a. 2 3 8 4 1 7 5 6 c. 3 2 8 4 6 5 7 1
b. 2 4 6 7 1 8 3 5 d. 3 6 7 1 2 3 8 4
23. in a little – our family- bamboo
1 2 3
near a small stream – for two days
house — spend the night
The good arrangement of the words above is …
a. 2 1 7 5 4 6 3 c. 1 4 2 7 5 3 6
b. 2 7 1 3 6 4 5 d. 1 3 5 2 7 6 4
A long time ago there were no donkeys in Kweichow. A merchant from another part of China went there and took a donkey with him. The donkey became sick, so the merchant left it there. When it was well again, the donkey ran away into a nearby forest. The tigers in the forest thought that the donkey was a strange animal and they were afraid of it. Whenever it brayed they all ran away.
After a few months the tigers became friendly with the donkey, They played many games with it, but they were still afraid of it. One day the donkey became very angry. It kicked one of the tigers with its hind legs. The tigers were very surprised. ‘ That must be all it can do when it is angry’, they said. Then all the tigers jumped on the donkey and killed it.
24 The story above is about the …
a. The merchant from China c. The donkey and the tiger
b. The animals in the forest d. The angry tiger
25.Where did the donkey meet the tigers?
a. In the merchant’s house c. In the nearby forest
b. In the market d. In China
26. Why were the tigers afraid of the donkey at first?
a. Because they thought the donkey was a strange animal.
b. Because the donkey brayed (=meringkik)
c. Because The donkey kicked one of them with its hind leg.
d. Because the donkey was angry
27. The tigers in the forest thought that the donkeys were strange animals.
It means that the tigers had never ……them before
a. seen c. kicked
b. chased d. killed
28. Why did the tigers kill the donkey?
a. Because they knew that the donkey was not as strange as they thought.
b.Because they didn’t want to play with them
c.Because they wanted to eat them
d Because the donkey was strange
29.Complete this following dialog .
Woro : I feel bored doing nothing like this.
Sulton : ………………….
Woro : Okay. Why not?
a. I have stomachache right now c. How about play truant?
b. What will we do tomorrow? d. What about playing outside with them ?
30. Song writers sometimes write their lyrics based on the experience of …..
a. them c. themselves
b. they d. their
31. Yogalana missed Sujai’s birthday party. He had to go back home to get the present for Sujai that he forgot to bring. Now ,he is still blaming … for his absent mindedness.
a. him c. his
b. himself d. he
32. The film …… is about two monsters. One is a little green Cyclops.a predatory fresh water animal which has a cylindrical body with a single central eye.Its name is Mike. The other is big,blue furry monsters named Sully.
a. It c. its
b. itself d. himself
For number 33-34 choose the best simple version(=similar meaning) of the following song lyric
You Raise Me Up
( By Josh Groban )
When I am down and, oh my soul,so weary (33)
When troubles come (34) and my heart burdened me
Then I am still and wait here in the silence,
Until you come and sit a while with me.
You raise me up,so I can stand on stormy seas.
I am strong,when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up. Too more than I can be.
33. a. trouble c. exhausted
b. sadness d. guide
34. a. I have problems c. guide me
b. can not solve d. suffer from
35. Yardini : Hi, Dika, tell me about your …….
Dika : Well. I went to Kuta beach in Bali. I felt good there. It had beautiful scenery.
I had sunbathing,surfing,swimming,and walking a long the beach.
a. suggestion c. vacation
b. plantation d. starvation
37.A bus is .( wide).. than a car
a. more wide c. wider
b. widest d. width
38. Arrange the sentences into a good order.
1. She died in Calcuta September 5,1997
2. She started a hospital for the poor.
3. She arrived in India and worked at convent school in Calcutta.
4. She was buried with a state funeral in Calcutta in September 13,1997
5. She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for her work for the world’s poor and dying. She said,” I’m unworthy”
6. Mother Teresa was born in Skopje,Serbia 1910.Her parents were Albanian.
7. She started a school for poor children in Calcutta.
a. 6732514 c. 6127345
b. 6714235 d. 6325147
39. Arrange the sentences into a good order.
1. The mouse was dishonest but the frog was crafty.
2. The two made spears out of a water plant for the fight.
3. “ What a good meal they would make,” said the eagle.
4. One day,the frog challenged the mouse to fight in the wet land.
5. In flew down quickly and carried them off with its powerful claws.
6. While they were fighting a hungry eagle saw them.
7. A mouse and a frog had always been fighting with each other over who should be the master of a pierce land.
a. 4216357 b. 4517263
b. 7142635 d. 7134265
40.When the dry season comes,some regions in Jakarta suffer from ….. disaster(=bencana)
a. drought c. tsunami
b. flood d. fire